Organ Guide

 

St George’s Church

Stalybridge

  The Renn Organ

In 1840 two organs were built by Samuel Renn, one of which was installed in ‘old’  St George’s and the other in ‘new’ St George’s church. The intention originally had been for ‘new’ St George’s church would replace the ‘old’ church. However, due to congregational rivalry and an unwillingness to vacate their old parish church, both remained open for more than a century.

New St. Georges Original Organ

‘Old’ St George’s organ was rebuilt and enlarged by Young in 1876 and by Blackett and Howden in 1922, pictured here:

 

It was later moved to ’new’ St George’s by Cyril Wood in 1969 when ‘old’ St George’s finally closed. It is believed that ‘new’ St George’s organ had been damaged by fire.

The south facing facia and the pipework of our organ is basically   that from‘old’ St George’s. The west facing facia  is  that  of  ’new’  St George’s.

The organ was rebuilt by George Sixsmith in 1986.

   We are currently raising funds to renovate the organ for a further 30 years.

 

Swell Organ:

Open Diapason 8

Lieblich Gedact 8

Dulciana 8

Voix Celest 8

Principal 4

15th 2

Cornopean 8

Oboe 8

Tremulant

 

Great Organ:

Open Diapason 8

Viola 8

Stopped Diapason 8

Principal 4

Harmonic Flute 4

Twelfth 2 2/3

Fifteenth 2


 

Choir Organ:

Clarabella 8

Viol de Gamba 8

Dulciana 8

Flute 4

Piccolo 2

Clarinet 8

 

Pedal Organ:

Open Diapason 16

Bourdon 16

Bass Flute 8

 

Couplers

Swell Octave

Swell Sub Octave

Swell to Great

Swell Octave to Great

Swell Suboctave to Great

Swell to Choir

Choir to Great

Swell to Pedal

Great to Pedal

Choir to Pedal