Frequently asked Questions

Q. Can I get married at St George's?
A. You can be married at St George's if one or both of you live in the parish. You can check which parish you live in by typing your postcode into A Church Near You
If one of you lives in a different parish you will have to have banns called there but the priest will explain all of this when you meet to discuss,

If neither of you lives in the parish you can be married at St George's:

  • if you and/or your partner is a regular worshipper and on our electoral roll. To qualify for the electoral roll you will be expected to regularly attend the church services for at least six months.
  • if you or your partner have a qualifying connection (see below).

If you do not meet any of these criteria it is possible to get married in a Registry Office then come on to St George's for a service of blessing. 

Q. What is a qualifying connection?

New legislation came into force in 2008 to meet the needs of people who would like to marry in a church because it has special significance for them, even though it is not where they live. A qualifiying connection is where at least one of them:

  • was baptised in the parish; or
  • has been confirmed and the confirmation has been entered in a church register book belonging to the parish, having been prepared for confirmation in the parish; or
  • has at any time had their usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
  • has at any time habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;

or that a parent of at least one of them has at any time during the lifetime of the applicant

  • had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months; or
  • habitually attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months

or that a parent or grandparent of at least one of them was married in the parish.

Q. How do I book the church?
A. As soon as you have decided you would like to get married St George's or have a service of blessing after your civil marriage, please contact the Church Wardens (contact details on the home page).

Q. What are the legal requirements?
A. Marriage in a parish church is by banns (from an old word meaning 'to announce' - similar to banner). Banns are an announcement of your intention to marry and a chance for anyone to put forward a reason why your marriage may not lawfully take place. You must have your banns read out in church for three Sundays during the three months before the wedding. They need to be read in St George's and, if your partner lives in another parish, also in that parish church. This also applies in situations where couples are marrying through a qualifying connection.

If you are under the age of eighteen, you must have your parents' consent to marry.

You can read more about legal requirements here.

Q. What if one or both of us is divorced?
A. At St George's we affirm that marriage is for life. We also recognise that some marriages fail and accept, therefore, that divorced persons may marry again.

As part of your preparation for your new marriage and what it means to you, you will want to consider:
* What have you learned from your previous marriage?
* Has there been healing of past hurts?
* If you have children, how are they being looked after?
* What do others think of your marriage plans?

Q. How much will it cost?
A. The legal fees for a marriage cover the publication of the banns, certificate of banns (if necessary), the marriage service and a certificate of marriage. These fees are fixed nationally. St George's also charges some local fees, for the organist, verger, heating, video recording etc. Please contact us for further details.

Q. Can I choose what kind of service I want?
A. The current guidance for the service is here.  We have also outlined it here and in a simple leaflet. You can choose to have a modern language service or one in more traditional language. Talk over the options with the officiating minister. There are usually one or more readings from the Bible or other readings or poetry - we can help you select the most appropriate. There will also be some prayers, which you may help to choose, or you may even write your own. You may also decide to have someone other than the minister leading the readings and prayers. You may have friends or family members you would like to involve in the service, for example by doing a reading or playing a musical instrument.

Q. Which hymns and songs can I have?
A. The officiating minister can advise on suitable hymns and songs, as well as music for coming in, going out and during the signing of the register. If you want to set out the words and/or music on a printed service sheet, you will need to comply with the copyright laws - you should consult the officiating minister about this. St George's will be happy to print out a service sheet, to your design, for you for a small fee.  For some popular choices click here

Q. Should we have one or two rings?
A. A wedding ring is a symbol of unending love and faithfulness, and of the commitment you are making to each other. It is entirely up to you whether you have one ring or two.

Q. Can we have a video recording of the service?
A. Yes, this is possible but there is a fee to pay to cover copyright costs..